On November 28, 2014, our lives completely changed. This is the day we welcomed our Z & L to our lives. Zachary was born on 8:27 am and Lucas was born 8:29 am via C-section at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. To say that it has been a crazy journey since then is an understatement. It's been only 6 months since we welcomed the boys into our lives, but looking back at photos when they were first born, they've grown so much!
Being first time parents, we had to learn a lot of things..
1. Tandem Breastfeeding -- Twin breastfeeding pillow is a life saver!! But aside from the breastfeeding pillow, I needed around 3 more pillows to help prop the breastfeeding pillow up. I also needed rolled up receiving blankets which I used as a pillow for the boys. When you're tandem feeding, getting settled down and with everybody comfortable is hard work, so once you are in the right position and everybody is happy, you really don't want to move again unless you are done feeding the babies - which is why I recommend you have all the things you need within arms reach - e.g. cellphone, water, tv remote control, towels, etc.
2. Changing diaper - changing diapers is pretty easy, just make sure you cover the bum area and it is snug so pee (and poo) don't leak!
3. Swaddling - it took us a while to perfect the art of swaddling. But when you are swaddling every day and every night, you'll learn what works best for you and your baby! Youtube helped a lot!
4. Just getting to know your baby/ies - what they like, what they don't like, what wakes them up, what helps them sleep, etc. After about 2 weeks, we discovered the pacifier!!! It was a life saver because our boys sucked for comfort. But the journey of finding the perfect pacifier is another topic all to itself!
5. Bottles - this is only applicable if you don't EBF. And since we have mixed fed from the beginning, we used feeding bottles a lot as well. The search for the "perfect" feeding bottle is not only what suites your baby and what he likes to use, but is also what you as a parent want to use (since technically you & your baby are both using the bottle) and clean. I learned my lesson the hard way, when you read in blogs or articles or you get advice to not buy a whole lot of bottle of the same brand before you and your baby get to try it first -- LISTEN TO IT!! I made the mistake of buying a whole set of particular brand of feeding bottle -- don't get me wrong, I did my research, I read a LOT of articles and blogs and "must-have" lists of other moms, but you'll never know what your baby will like and I guess if you're a first time mom (like me!), you'll never know what you will like either. Oh, not only did I have to deal with what bottle suites our boys, but I also had to deal with a picky husband who found some bottles "harder" to feed the babies with. And on top of that we had gas-y babies too *sigh*. To make the long story short, DO NOT buy a whole set of feeding bottles until you are absolutely sure that it is what you and your baby likes.. despite all the "advice" you get online or in articles.. each baby has his or her own preference. So no, I do not have a product to recommend, but rather, I'd say just go out there, but one of each of a few kinds of bottles and see what you and your baby like the most.